Using HempChips as horse bedding:
- Before starting a stall with HempChips be sure it is clean from all other bedding and manure. Mixing HempChips with other types of bedding will limit achievement of all the product benefits.
- We recommend using 4 bags of HempChips to start a 12ft. x 12 ft. stall.
- To activate the absorption qualities of the HempChips we recommend sprinkling 1-2 gallons of water over them once placed in the stall.
- Remove the manure daily, digging out the wet spots as required.
- Expect to use only one bag of HempChips every 5-7 days depending on the horse and the daily turn out time.
- You will find that a much smaller manure pile is produced due to the reduced material being removed in comparison to other bedding products.
Using HempChips as a garden mulch:
- HempChips can be used through spring, summer, or fall as a garden mulch to replace wood based mulches
- To use as a garden mulch spread the HempChips about 2-4 inches deep over the garden area to keep plants moist and reduce weed pressure. Water as needed.
- The HempChips, if left undisturbed ,once dry will slightly crust over and will not blow away.
- You can blend HempChips with other top mulches to change the appearance of your garden to suit your taste.
Using HempChips as a soil amender:
- HempChips are a great alternative to peat moss for potting soils and when transplanting young plants into your garden.
- Add 4-5 liters of HempChips to 1 bag of soil (approximately a 10:1 ratio of soil to HempChips). The light colour of HempChips contrasts against the dark soil to give you an easy way to determine the ratio.
- Use mixture of soil and HempChips for potting and transplanting as needed.